background

Friday, April 3, 2009

Love is Love people... Love is Love!

Ya, I haven't had much to say at all lately. But today there is huge news and I would be lame if I didn't put in my 2 cents. Yes, I know, I can hardly afford that 2 cents but I'm sharing it anyway!


This morning the Iowa Supreme Court legalized gay marriage!

(This is where the trumpets sound and the balloons and confetti fall from the rafters!)

Obviously I'm personally not gay. "Mr Man" is not code for my butch lesbian lover. Yes, I joke that he is more the woman in the relationship than I am. Yes, he loves to talk on the phone while I DETEST IT with every fiber in my body. Yes, he likes to shop while I would rather be jabbed in the eye with a sharp stick. Yes, he spends more time in the bathroom getting pretty then I do but...

Where was I going with this?

Oh right... He's not really a woman. He is in fact a man. I swear it. I have the hair shavings all over the bathroom sink to prove it!

Even though we're not gay, the majority of our friends are in same sex relationships. Our best friends are gay. My ex brother in law is gay. I am very excited for today's ruling in Iowa.

I don't think of this so much as a gay vs straight or "innee vs outee" (or who does what with their innee's or outee's) type thing. To me, this is about EQUALITY.

Say it with me people....

EQUALITY!!!!!

I think it's high time that states start recognizing that everyone deserves the same rights. Man, woman, straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersexual, and asexual. And anyone else I forgot.

When an unmarried man and woman have a child together, sort of like Mr Man and I, although we're in a common law marriage now, we both have equal rights as our sons parents in his life. If something happened between us, God forbid, knock on wood, *spit, spit, spit (like on My Big Fat Greek Wedding (pttooey, pttooey, pttooey) we would both have EQUAL RIGHTS in front of a court of law to work out a custody agreement. That is not the case with gay parents when only one parent is the legal or biological parent to the child. Even though both of those parents raised that child and took care of him or her and loved them, bathed them, read to them, most courts would not recognize both parents.

Can you imagine having to walk away from your child?

If your spouse was in the hospital, you as his wife or her husband would be able to see them in the ICU, sign documents, make legal decisions, pull the plug. Ok, I threw that last one in there just for fun but you get my drift.

Gay couples do not have that same equality. Legalizing gay marriage changes all that. It affords gay couples the same opportunities us "breeders" have had all along, should they want them of course. And that's what this is all about! Giving them the option to have that choice!

There are a lot of people who believe marriage should only be between a man and a woman. I am not one of them. (Hey, if they want to get married and fight over whose turn it is to cook dinner and who took out the garbage last and why their husbands socks are on the floor by the hamper and not IN the hamper then more power to them right? Seriously though, what IS THAT ABOUT? The hamper is INCHES away from where he drops his socks! There isn't even a lid on the damn thing. Why can't he just drop them in the hamper instead of next to it?)

All kidding aside though, today's ruling was a huge step forward for the world and for equality and I'm so excited about it.

I believe we are all born with our sexual orientation pre-determined. Gay people are born gay just as I was born straight. (Well, except for a little experimentation years ago but who hasn't done that? But a few times with another woman does not a lesbian make. Right?) To say that someone doesn't "deserve" the same equalities and rights as other people because of who they love makes absolutely no sense at all.

Gay is not a choice. They do not CHOOSE to be rejected by their families, their friends, their God. They do not CHOOSE to be rejected by society, by state and by government. If gay was a choice, don't you think they'd "choose" an easier lifestyle?

Love is love.

Repeat it with me...

Love is love....

So what do you think about today's ruling? Are you happy about it? Upset about it? Tired of hearing about it? I'd love to know.... (OK, I really don't want to hear you're tired of hearing about it because it just happened hours ago. Get over it. Suck it up. Build a bridge. Whatever.)

(Thanks to David for helping me when I got stuck on my blog post earlier! You rock. Did you ever know that you're my hero? You're everything I wish I could beeeee.....)

No comments:

Spread the Love!

Can't Get Enough? How about these?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Ajax CommentLuv Enabled 55a48c425f0759051b0388a4034fab6d